Pathfinder Academy at Eastmark
Fact Sheet and Q&A
What is name of the school and where is it located?
- Edkey, Inc. – Pathfinder Academy at Eastmark is located in the Eastmark Community, which is located on Eastmark Parkway just north of Ray Road, in Southeast Mesa.
Is there a cost to attend?
- No, we are a free public charter school. Charter schools are organized and overseen by the Arizona State Board for Charter Schools as well as held accountable to rules and regulations set forth by the Arizona Department of Education.
Is the school affiliated with other charter schools?
- Yes. Pathfinder Academy at Eastmark is an Edkey, Inc. school. Edkey Inc. operates 16 other charter schools throughout the state of Arizona.
What are the school hours?
- Monday-Thursday: 8:00am-3:00pm
- Friday: 8:00am-12:30pm
- Friday afternoons are built in professional development, meetings, or work time for teachers.
- Before and after school child care is available.
What grades are served at the school?
What is the average class size? What is the capacity of the school?
- 1st grade – 25
- 2nd – 6th grades – 30
- We anticipate being able to support 400 students when at capacity.
What is the focus of the school?
- Pathfinder Academy at Eastmark will be a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) focused school. The school integrates core instruction to address all the above areas to help students develop a strong educational foundation in these areas to enhance future educational opportunities.
Is there full day Kindergarten?
- Yes. Kindergarten programs are developmentally appropriate and aligned with AZ Common Core standards, as is instruction in all grade levels. Prior to the start of the school year, students will be assessed in order to structure a meaningful and relevant instructional programming based on their current levels of performance. The instructional programming will be challenging and help prepare the student for a successful educational career.
What does the school building look like?
- The building is state of the art. It is organized to optimize learning experiences in all spaces. Interactive learning resources and demonstrations are built into the common areas and learning boulevard’s (hallways) throughout the school. Classrooms have a shared learning environment to allow for small group activities and exploration of skills and concepts. An outdoor interactive learning space helps students make connections to learning and see the relevance on a day to day basis. A library is contained in the student commons area. A computer lab is accessible for all classes. Technology is also available in the student common area and in the classrooms. A multi-purpose room for PE, lunch, performances, school wide events and open to the community is a focal point of the campus.
What type of staffing is in place?
- There is a full time principal, health assistant, art and PE teacher. All teaching staff members are highly qualified and/or certified.
Is there a dress code?
- There are student appearance guidelines that include a uniform shirt.
What is security like on campus?
- The campus is secured at all times by a gate. Access to the campus is through the main office only. There is a school security system as well.
Are there after school programs to support enrichment and remediation for my student?
- Yes – we offer a variety of academic and enrichment opportunities in an after-school format. There is not a before school program.
Is transportation available?
- We do not provide transportation.
Is there be a lunch program?
- Yes. Students have the option to bring their lunch or purchase a lunch. A monthly menu of lunch options is provided.
Is instruction aligned to the AZ Common Core Standards?
- Edkey Inc. has worked with staff to unwrap the Common Core standards. As a result of this process, curriculum guides have been created based on grade level and content area. All teachers receive these curriculum guides for use in planning and constructing their curriculum maps. These formalized guides assure that instruction is directly aligned to the standards.
What curriculum resources are used at the school?
- Curricular resources will focus on high levels of application through a hands-on integrated format to challenge students to achieve academic excellence. Resources currently used at sites throughout our organization include:
- Reading – Reading Street, SuperKids, Trophies
- Math – Everyday Math, EnVision
- Science – Science Kits developed based on identified units and standards
What is taught in the Art and PE classes?
- As with all instruction in the state of Arizona, special areas such as Art and PE have standards articulated by grade level that are covered. Strong emphasis is placed on supporting classroom instruction in the special areas and these teachers will work with grade level teachers to enhance core instruction.
What is the frequency of special area classes (Art and PE)?
- At a minimum, students have at least 1 session of Art and PE each week.
Are field trips included in the instructional programming?
- Yes. Educational field trips that enhance instruction are taken. Some cost may be incurred based on the experience. Transportation is provided for field trips.
Are special education services provided?
Are parents encouraged to participate in their child’s classrooms?
- Yes. Parental involvement is a key to a successful home-school partnership. An identified volunteer program is in place to support parents and other volunteers who wish to support the education experience of our students.
Is a PTO established?
- Yes. We are always looking for interested parents to support the PTO. If you are interested, please contact the school via the email address – firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the homework policy?
- Homework is meant to be a reinforcement of concepts taught in the classroom. A defined homework policy has been developed and articulated with the support of staff and parental input.
What forms of communication are used to inform families of updates on the school and events?
- Please watch for updated information on the school and events on our website at eastmark.sequoiapathfinder.org.
How can I enroll my child?
- To complete a pre-registration form please click on the Enroll Now Tab above.
For additional assistance please contact:
- Call: (480) 351-8070
- Email: email@example.com